Podcast: Listen below or Download (38 min, 37mb)
Self-love and self-care might be the most important factors in promoting healing, and yet are often difficult for people to tackle. Whether you’re a Type A personality, a natural caregiver, or simply raised in a culture where you are taught to put everyone and everything ahead of you and your health, truly shifting your lifestyle to incorporate self-care can be a steep learning curve.
Jen Wittman joins us this episode to help illuminate how to emerge from perfectionism and shame and take your healing into your own hands. With both personal and professional experience and expertise in thyroid issues, Jen shares her own story and a healthy dose of humor to inspire you to amp up your emotional well-being.
What Jen and I talk about
- Jen’s journey of health breakdown (from a car accident and Hashimoto’s) and recovery
- The problem with thyroid tests and what you need to know
- Why commitment is so important on the healing journey
- The most effective way to commit
- How perfectionism can derail healing
- Asking for help from others, even if you’re a perfectionist
- Shifting out of the adversarial mindset with your body
- Why self-love and self-care are crucial ingredients to getting well
- Traits that make it difficult to put yourself first
- Changing your self-worth set-point
- The link between emotional well-being and illness
- The importance of small wins
- Jen’s action plan:
- Make the commitment to yourself and get support
- Drop the shame and tap into your self-worth
- Do one thing this week to nourish yourself and promote healing
“When it comes to commitment it’s really about taking the baby step, committing to one little thing to do, trying that seeing the result and then committing to the next step and then committing to the next step, and breaking it down to make it easy. I think that’s the most effective way to commit to something.”
“You have to love your body back to health and part of that is becoming partners again with your body.” tweet
Jen Wittman is a Holistic Health Expert, Author & Coach and is the creator of Your BEST Thyroid Life, The Thyroid Fix in 6 & Thyroid Loving Care providing one-of-a-kind health & lifestyle transformations. Jen hosts Thyroid Radio and her groundbreaking book, Healing Hashimoto’s Naturally teaches readers how to use self-love and self-care to reclaim their lives from thyroid & autoimmune conditions. Jen brings extra helpings of joy and humor to the table as a trained chef and has degrees in culinary arts, psychology, transformational coaching, nutrition, and Italian. Jen spent a year honing her cooking skills in Italy and is passionate about food, family, friends, laughter and helping people craft the life of their dreams.
Find Jen Online
Gift for the AI Adventures Club
Jen’s 7-day thyroid diet and meal plan: a great meal plan for thyroid or any autoimmune disorder! Includes grocery shopping list and a meal prep plan.
If you would like to receive this gift, sign up for the free AI Adventures Club by entering your email address on the form on the top right of the page, or by clicking here! If you’re already a member, then go to the gift page and enter the password.
Did you like this episode?
If you liked this episode, please subscribe to the podcast through iTunes, and consider leaving a rating and review! Reviews and subscriptions help boost the standing of the podcast in iTunes, which helps others who might benefit from the information to find it and join the adventure. See this post for instructions on how to subscribe and leave a rating/review. Thank you!