For most of us, the body is something we use, and knowing how to speak its language and listen to it are not high on the priority list. Yet when we have an illness, relearning how to be a body can be a powerful form of medicine.
Jamie McHugh has worked for decades distilling the wisdom of a variety of body-mind modalities into Somatic Expression®, his unique approach to somatic education and expressive arts that supports you to explore your inner ecosystem and your relationship to the outer ecosystem.
What Jamie and I talk about
- The five natural languages of the body
- How the body is an endangered habitat
- Why we cut ourselves off from inner perception, and how we can reverse that trend
- How to adapt to the “unnatural” environments most of us live in daily
- The problem with most traditional approaches to fitness and movement
- How to create your own somatic/meditative practice and why you might have more success than with a straight meditation practice
- How movement habits influence us, for better or worse
- Bringing curiosity to simple somatic explorations
- How to feel more support, ease, freedom and success in your body
“Anything you repeat is what you’re actually learning and what you’re becoming.”
“Tend to the process rather than fixate on the product.”
“Affirm what is, and innovate with a solution.”
“Your body is with you 24/7, you don’t need to schedule a class to be in your body. You’re in your body whether you like it or not!”
Jamie McHugh, RSMT, MA is a Registered Somatic Movement Therapist and a Fine Art Photographer. He is the creator of Somatic Expression®, an innovative approach to somatic education that enables people to incorporate bodily intelligence into their daily lives—teaching how to mindfully and easily move, breathe, sit, and stand.
Various teachers have inspired his work, including Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen, Emilie Conrad, Anna Halprin and Thich Nhat Hahn. Jamie has been teaching movement-based work since 1978, presenting seminars worldwide at universities, clinics, studios, and training centers. Jamie lives in Olympia, WA and has just completed his first book: “Restoring Original Grace: Movement as Medicine.”
Find Jamie Online
Jamie’s Gift for the AI Adventures Club
A short audio meditation and handout on three-dimensional breathing, an exercise that will enhance awareness of your breath and increase vitality.
If you would like to receive this gift, sign up for the free AI Adventures Club by entering your email address on the form on the top right of the page, or by clicking here!
Did you like this episode?
If you liked this episode, please subscribe to the podcast through iTunes, and consider leaving a rating and review! Reviews and subscriptions help boost the standing of the podcast in iTunes, which helps others who might benefit from the information to find it and join the adventure. See this post for instructions on how to subscribe and leave a rating/review.